top of page

South Lincs Steelers Blues 2 points away from Division 2 championship glory

Blues started the day with a tricky match against Huntingdon B. The first half although dominated by the blues, were held by a resilient defence. The best chances came from Al Wells and Mark Allen both shooting from tight angles with the Keeper making good saves. A second half substitution saw Putterill come on from Allen allowing Mike Wells to get more involved further forward. This soon paid off with a goal each from Steve Hammond and Al Wells. Pete Paget then replaced Al Wells and a 3rd was added from Mike Wells with a great interchange between Wells and Hammond. The match was concluded when Hammond using his strength added his second of the match with a cross from Wells. A 4-0 victory was deserved result and another clean sheet for keeper Briston

Al Wells scoring a second for Blues against Huntingdon B

    In the second Match Blues met Oakham for the first time this season. Oakham provided the Blues with their toughest opponent of the season. Blues went ahead with a beautifully placed shot from Mike Wells after a brilliantly weighted lay off from Al Wells.  Blues were then pegged back by a counterattack with Mike Wells being outnumbered at the back. The halftime score finished 1-1.  Putterill and Pagett came on for Al Wells and Allen and again Blues went ahead through some good work from Putterill and Mike Wells setting Hammond up to slot calmly away. Oakham stepped up their offensive with some good shots that were well saved by Briston. With only minutes left a hopeful shot from Oakham took a wicked deflection leaving Briston helpless squaring the game at 2-2. Allen Came on for Pagett to add some more fire power to snatch victory and in almost the last kick of the match Hammond found Allen unmarked at the edge of the box, with a bit of skill he sent the ‘man of the match’ Oakham keeper the wrong way only to see his shot crash against the post and out of play.

The result a draw meaning Blues lose their 100% record but remain unbeaten and now only needed 2 points to claim the division 2 title.

In Division 3 a mixed day for both Whites and Clarets. Up first for Whites was Leverington, who they had previously suffered their heaviest defeat of the season. A similar result looked on the cards as Leverington raced to a first half lead on 3 goals to 0. Second half though saw Allen come on who grabbed a goal back after he slotted the ball home well, he then added a second from the penalty spot bringing the score back to 3-2. Whites then pushed for an equaliser but were caught out by a hopeful shot which curled passed an unsighted keeper and then another breakaway goal. The game finishing a 5-2 Loss.

Phil Cooper in action for whites

Whites second game was against Whittlesey Blacks. A nice move involving Short and Cooper playing in Woolhouse to put his shot to the left of the keeper into the goal. Allen added a second with powerful shot. The game finished 2-0 with Whites recording their second win, which in turn moves them off the bottom of the table.

Clarets first game was with top of the table Harborough Hornets. Clarets went 1-0 down with the fastest goal that has probably ever been scored in the competition. The center kick was taken passed back to another player who scored an absolute worldie. The tone of the match was then set with Harborough playing the in their own half and first sign of danger passing back to the keeper and then hitting Clarets on the counter. Clarets went lost 4-0 their first defeat of the campaign.

In the second match against Huntingdon A, Clarets again found themselves behind early on but soon equalised through Tony Bean. In the second half Clarets went ahead with a well taken goal from Bracegirdle but today was not Clarets day and Huntingdon equalised. The game finished 2-2. The result leaves Clarets in 4th place, 4 points behind leaders Leverington but with 2 games in hand.

27 views0 comments


bottom of page