top of page


New opponents for Blues pitted them against Huntingdon B in the 1st game. It was Huntingdon who created the 1st chance but Pete Paget snuffed it out with a fine block on 2 minutes. 60 seconds later & Michael Wells was clear on goal, putting their keeper on his backside before passing to the right instead of dinking it over the stranded keeper. However, the lead soon came with Alan Wells finishing from a tight angle after being slid in on the right by Steve Hammond. Some good football followed with every Blues player making passes in a great team move but Alan Wells fluffed his lines on this occasion. Within a minute of the 2nd half, Alan redeemed himself, stealing the ball from a loose pass & making it 2-0. More fine football & it was Pete Paget on the scoresheet this time, with a rocket from his left foot, low into the far corner that no keeper could’ve done much about. Mike Bracegirdle then made his Blues debut as a sub for Pete Paget and the score was soon 4-0 after Alan Wells put Mick Wells in on goal and he made sure this time. In the closing minutes, Mike Bracegirdle hit the post. A well deserved 4-0 win was completed.

Next up were joint league leaders Glinton & Northborough who caught Blues cold, scoring after a probable league record of 12 seconds! Parity came on 6 minutes with Steve Hammond and Michael Wells linking up well down the middle and a pass to the right saw Michael Wells equalise with a fine finish. On 10 minutes, Alan continued his superb start to league football, making it 2-1 with a firm shot that went under the keeper. A minute into the 2nd half & the game was pretty much over, Steve Hammond feeding Mick Wells again to put him one on one with the keeper and made no mistake with the finish. Glinton did put some pressure on with free kicks close to the box, but Blues defended well and got some telling blocks in. Chris Briston in goal made a particularly good save, somehow clasping the ball between his thighs. Mike Bracegirdle was now on and got his 1st league goal after being put through by Mick with a quick counter attack. The game finished 4-1 to Blues. Blues go 6 point clear.

Division 3

After FC Peterborough pull out of the league. Steelers hastily formed a 3rd team, Clarets took its place and give more game time to the growing number players, The Clarets, got off to winning ways.

In a tight game against Oundle Town Whites, a late penalty finished with aplomb by Lee Nolan gave Clarets the 3 points. Clarets had carved out plenty of chances for Nolan, playing in an unfamiliar strikers role, but his aim was off. Making his league debut, Tony Bean marshalled the back line well and Chris Briston made some good saves when called upon. Captain Steve Earth was buzzing around the pitch until he finally ran out of steam in the 2nd half. After a long absence playing league football, Tony Fry was back playing well on the left & shifting position when required. Mike Bracegirdle came on in the 2nd half & was calm & composed on his league debut, passing the ball well and creating chances for others. The game ended 1-0 to Clarets.

Another tight game, this time against Huntingdon A, saw Clarets go behind in the 1st half. With 8 minutes to go & needing a goal, Steve Hammond was kicking his heels on the sidelines, so it was decided to throw him on. The change had an immediate impact with Mike Bracegirdle equalising with his 1st league goal and Steve Hammond bagging the winner soon after.

Steelers whites though endured a tough day, with heavy defeat at the hands of Leverington Lions. the game finished 0-10 with former Steeler Wayne Beasant influencing the proceedings. Dave Hancock had made his debut and enjoyed his day. Dan Smith also made some excellent saves. 2nd game versus Huntingdon A could’ve been a different result but for some bad luck. Steelers worked hard in the first half and did not deserve go behind. This gave Huntingdon the confidence them to go on and score more. with the game finishing 0-6.

For full results go to

154 views0 comments


bottom of page