top of page



Match day 1 of The Lincs Over 50’s Walking Football Championship (Division 2) proved hard going for Steelers Blues, losing all 4 fixtures, but all tight affairs.

We started well against Louth Town, controlling plenty of possession & creating numerous chances up to the 10th minute. Louth then created some pressure of their own & took the lead just before halftime. More of the same to follow with Steelers dragging shots wide, hitting posts and the crossbar & not testing their keeper enough. By the 19th minute, Louth were 3 up before we kicked into gear in front of goal with Steve Hammond bagging 2 but we ran out of time to find the equaliser. 3-2 final score.

An even game vs Gainsborough followed with the match at a stalemate until the 22nd minute when a loose ball at the back was pounced on by Gainsborough to make it 1-0. That soon became 2-0 when our midfield followed the ball instead of their man, leaving a Gainsborough player unmarked high up the left flank who made the game safe.

The team were playing well enough to take points from these games and against Sleaford too, who were up next in another tight game. We were testing their keeper with good efforts from Mark Allen & Steve Hammond, but he was up to the challenge between the sticks. Our own keeper for the day, Lee Nolan was performing admirably with Pete Paget marshalling the back line in front of him. Phil Cooper got some much deserved minutes on the pitch in the 2nd half, not putting a foot wrong. However, we succumbed to a goal in each half by Sleaford and the game ended 2-0.

A much needed break was had before the final game which allowed us to put in our best performance of the day against the same Louth Town.

After an even start, Louth took the lead. We were playing some good football with Jason Putterill spreading the ball wide to Ali Wenham on the right who took the ball just too far wide and made the shooting angle too tight. After already hitting the post, Steve Earth, playing well upfront for the injured Steve Hammond, was put through by Mick Wells and with defenders getting back, he couldn’t quite get his feet sorted quickly enough and the chance was gone. Louth made it 2-0 on the 9th minute before Mick Wells pulled one back after more good work by Jason Putterill & Ali Wenham. More good stuff in the 2nd half before a Louth player took a bang to the head after a heavy fall onto the surface. Although unable to continue, he was thankfully ok. Steve Hammond was able to play the last 8 minutes & we pushed hard for what would have been a deserved equaliser. His chance came in the final minute and with their keeper scrambling on the deck, Steve’s chip was clawed away. The game finished 2-1.

Thanks to the entire squad for their attendance and participation. It’s a tough league but we look forward to our return fixtures against today’s opponents.

As always, thanks to the referee’s for making the games possible & some good officiating today.

102 views0 comments


bottom of page